Forums General Discussions Platform Related Questions & Issues

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    simplex

Hi Everybody!

This thread is intended to discuss any question related to MetaTrader interaction / interface with the PC environment, like operating system, anti virus software, firewalls, etc.

simplex

A good trader is a realist who wants to grab a chunk from the body of a trend, leaving top- and bottom-fishing to people on an ego trip. (Dr. Alexander Elder)

simplex

Currently, I’m running my MQL development machine under Windows 7 Professional. After more than 2 decades of experience with software ‘upgrades’ by a multitude of companies, I’ve become a bit cautious, preferring to wait a bit longer. Stability is most useful!

For several weeks now, my Win 7 platform is nagging by an increasing number of updates. Half a year ago, I remember typically one update a week, now I would say there are 3 per week. I’m quite sure Microsoft does that intentionally, just to coerce their users to migrate to Win 10.

Apart from that, everything is absolutely stable and fast.

Now my specific questions:

• What are your personal experiences related to MT4 running under Windows 10?
        • Any special pitfalls?
        • Things to do or not to do?

simplex

A good trader is a realist who wants to grab a chunk from the body of a trend, leaving top- and bottom-fishing to people on an ego trip. (Dr. Alexander Elder)

pipatronic
        Participant

Watch ouy with W10 there is an issue with a file that is installed which collects and stores data and accumulates into quite a size, cannot remember what it was exactly but am sure a google search would find it. I am running W7 64 bit and I keep getting prodded for the upgrade – shall stay where I am as I have some cad software that is quite happy and don’t want to rock the boat.

pip

simplex

don’t want to rock the boat

Thanks & yep: that’s it, basically!

Just collecting infomation at the moment.

Jhlewis10
            Participant

It’s been running fine on my Win 10 install.  Custom install to check no thanks to most of Microsofts data collection attempts.

My PS went up in smoke killing my HDD, but now I have a new SSD drive and have Win 10 reloaded.

Of course I can kill mt4 easily on any machine by loading up a big renko profile lol.

gg53
              Participant

I never touch new Platform/Software App until at least ServicePack 1.

As to MT4 – I hate the “forced” move to +600 incompatible upgrade and lack of backward compatability. That’s a sign of troubles ahead – either/or the company’s intentions is to abandon this platform and move to a newer one, or to drop their support of current version.

I’m already prepared to move my assets to another trading platform.

I’m less concerned with W10 (Microsoft is known for its Backward compatible support), although in “production” I’m currently running Server 2008 R2.

G.

pipatronic
                Participant

One subject that I would like to bring up here is broadband speed (or in my case lack of it), here in the UK main areas get fibre optic super fast but for the rest of us I am not kidding when I say it is “pigeon speed”. I am considering satellite – anyone have any experience of satellite ??

Pip

simplex

As to MT4 – I hate the “forced” move to +600 incompatible upgrade and lack of backward compatability. That’s a sign of troubles ahead – either/or the company’s intentions is to abandon this platform and move to a newer one, or to drop their support of current version.

Sooner or later, they’ll force us into MT5+. By then, very much of our code will have to be rewritten, and the hurdle to take for coding newbies will be even higher than today.

On the other hand: migration to MT4 build 600+ has caused a lot of work on my side. But now, less than a year later, I just can’t imagine how to write the more sophisticated parts of my indicators without the new possibilities provided, e.g. composite data types, or compiling any of my code without the additional security provided by #property strict.

We should be prepared for a forced migration to MT5+ or for possibly moving to another platform.

s.

smallcat
                    Participant

I am currently using W7 without problem for my MT4. Microsoft always force us tovupdate and upgrade to newer one, always using “security” as its reason. But i do not fill that i must upgrade to W10. Some time ago i used linux (slackware) + 3mulator wine/vmware. Mt4 run slow on the emulator, so i decide to use windows again. Any one use Ninja for developping and/or trading? For a beginner with no C++or C# experiences, is it difficult? What are the reason of using NT instead of MT4 ?

gg53
                      Participant

I am currently using W7 without problem for my MT4. Microsoft always force us tovupdate and upgrade to newer one, always using “security” as its reason. But i do not fill that i must upgrade to W10. Some time ago i used linux (slackware) + 3mulator wine/vmware. Mt4 run slow on the emulator, so i decide to use windows again. Any one use Ninja for developping and/or trading? For a beginner with no C++or C# experiences, is it difficult? What are the reason of using NT instead of MT4 ?

From existing Trading platforms I can only recommend the CTrader.

Reasons:

1. Partial compatability to MQL existing code.

2. It only works on true ECN/STP brokers.

Other platforms are also Ok, but hardly compatible for ones that have a lot of assets in MQL.

G.

simplex

Hmm – after finding this one my recent question about MT4 / W10 compatibility seems a bit out of date:

Microsoft slips user-tracking tools into Windows 7, 8 amidst Windows 10 privacy storm

:negative: :negative:   :negative:

s.

simplex

And this is a broker’s voice when it comes to W10 compatibility:

Seriously though, we have been advising clients not to upgrade to Windows 10 at the moment. Some clients said it’s been working fine, others say there’s certain parts that don’t work and then others the program won’t even open.

Basically, proceed with caution.

(Jeremy, Global Prime)

Found over there at SH: http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=129378#p128814

s.

tyler
                            Participant

The concept of MetaTrader interaction is look  sound good. Well thanks guys for such information.

simplex

MT Price Feed Data Quality

When working on my Currency Strength Indicators, I ran into some problems relating data quality of MetaTrader’s price feed. Apart from CS, such problems are getting even worse when calculating synthetic pairs for certain indicators or signals.

The problem is that in most timeframes there’s only a VERY limited number of bars where timestamp and bar index are in sync for all 28 major and non-major pairs. When timestamp and bar index are out of sync, you can just forget about calculating synthetic symbols linked by bar index.

Examples (Global Prime demo server):

• On M1, I hardly find more than 20 bars (starting at bar 1) that have the same timestamp for all 28 pairs on the same bar index. Depending on data reloaded, the result is different from run to run.
                                • On M5, it’s only a little better.
                                • On M15, I managed after some manual reload to get a stable number of about 1200 bars that can be used.
                                • On H4, there are obviously faulty data (several H4 bars marked 10:00 instead of 12:00)
                                • … and many more similar cases.

Pic shows results for M1 with bar 1 out of sync for GBPCHF.

I attach the script that I’ve written to check this for everyone to use. Starting at bar 1, the script will search the first bar index of each timeframe with non-matching timestamps. These timestamps will be printed to file. Please provide feedback about your findings. You’ll find the output file in the MT4 files folder, named like the script itself.

Do you have a reliable method to load OHLC data of certain pairs and timeframes permanently in the background?

s.

EDIT: I moved the script code to the new thread I started on this topic. Hope this will generate some feedback that leads to enhancing data quality.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 7 months ago by simplex. Reason: Moving code to new thread
                                Attachments:
                                You must be logged in to view attached files.

Lowphat
                                Participant

win 10 runs fine for me. i use the portable command to keep everything in one folder

\MetaTrader 4\terminal.exe” /portable.  sometimes i run it in wine under nix/bsd and its usable.

i don’t use mt4 for a live account because in the US damn near all company’s that offer mt4 are nasty bucket shops.

“I believe the very best money is made at the market turns. Everyone says you get killed trying to pick tops and bottoms and you make all
                                  your money by playing the trend in the middle. Well for twelve years I have been missing the meat in the middle but I have made a lot of
                                  money at tops and bottoms.”
                                  – Paul Tudor Jones

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Scroll to Top