Forums Trading Systems Discussion HGI from SteveHopwood

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Hi all.

On SteveHopwood is an amazing sytem called HGI. You really should check it out if you have the time.

Link to HGI on SteveHopwood

Basically there are 2 main threads: HGI which talks about the logic of the underlying indicators and system, and Holy Graily Bob which is EA development and discussion. A third thread may be of interest which is HGI for beginners which is probably where you should start if you don’t know what any of this means.

simplex

Hi all. On SteveHopwood is an amazing sytem called HGI. Maybe we can discuss a few things here if Savor0 has nothing against it.

Count me in!

A good trader is a realist who wants to grab a chunk from the body of a trend, leaving top- and bottom-fishing to people on an ego trip. (Dr. Alexander Elder)

fguru
        Participant

Saw it too and think its quite interesting.

Do you trade it, muuh? If yes on which timeframe (H4)?

Anonymous

I find the white lines, that appear in the bar, really useful. They can tell us if a signal appeared in realtime at the current bar.
            Really good for the wavy signals. But the big arrows seem to have the white lines everytime, be carefull with them, wehen scrolling through the chart

Anonymous

I’m still not trading it but started watching it before christmas.
              I’m only interested in the lower timeframes (M1/M5). Thats why the white lines are really important for me

iCONE
              Participant

Hi,

I just watched the system many time in real time. Big arrows appears, then disappears and appears again later.

That’s actually repaint a lot, wavy lines are good to find S/R I think, but nothing much.

I don’t know how they can be profitable with this system.

But, honestly, the system looks good when you watch it the first time.

Well, that’s my thoughts.

Poocher
                Participant

Its supposed to be for 4 hour and up time periods and arrows can be traded before the close of the bar.

Nanningbob the creator has spent years optimizing the signals for 4hrs. and up.

simplex

I don’t know how they can be profitable with this system.

Nanningbob the creator has spent years optimizing the signals for 4hrs. and up.

Yes: and Nanningbob usually trades huge SL. He’s very patient, accumulating small profits over years. He certainly is successful!

A good trader is a realist who wants to grab a chunk from the body of a trend, leaving top- and bottom-fishing to people on an ego trip. (Dr. Alexander Elder)

Anonymous

I don’t care if it is supposed to be for the 4H timeframe. In my opinion it works on the lower timeframes as good as on the higher.

About appearing and disappearing of signals. With one of the newer versions, every signal that appears stays the same and HGI isn’t allowed to change them anymore.
                      The white line gives you the important information if the signal you see, appeared at the current bar.

TMA changes thes slope with incoming bars. The more the market moves. The more the slope changes.
                      Thats why after switching timeframe or reloading the chart signals change.

You have to take your time and watch it in realtime.

Anonymous

Using it on H1/H4 you have the possibility to trade during the open of the bar or infact you should trade during the open.

On M1/M5 trading during the open of the bar is usefull for high frequency traders. Since i’m not a high frequency trader I have to adapt the way of trading with HGU :)

gg53
                        Participant

I don’t think that it is fair or good behaviour toward SteveHopwood site and to the author and contributors of HGI.

Share, contribute, ask, discuss – @SteveHopwood, the originator.

G.

Anonymous

I think you are right GG. Guys take a look at steve hoopwood and try out HGI.

Savor0, can you close this thread or delete it?

simplex

I don’t think that it is fair or good behaviour toward SteveHopwood site and to the author and contributors of HGI. Share, contribute, ask, discuss – @SteveHopwood, the originator.

Well – I believe that if HGI is being discussed on different forums around the world, with links back to its origin at SHF provided, then this will also serve as a promotion for Steve’s great site.

When I was a student, our professors didn’t prohibit discussion of study topics outside the university. ;-)

s.

LearnAlways
                              Participant

If u read the pdf on HGI, actually Nanningbob states very clearly why he uses H4 because the trend is 2 Months LWMA Open according to his Theory. That’s why he uses 60 LWMA & 240 LWMA on H4 chart. U can calculate 60 x H4 = (10 days or 2 weeks) & 240 x H4 = 40 days(2months). I believe he is by far the only one I knew which explain clearly what is a Trend which I can’t really find in FF. I just regret I didn’t read it earlier and wasted so much time, $ & effort trying to decipher what is a trend. I have to really give him credit for that. I truly respect this guy and stevehopwood for giving back to the community. I don’t think it is wrong to discuss about HGI at all, provided u don’t decompile his code(against ethics). Because as a trader. Our most fundamental rule is to make $, so if HGI can make $, it can also just be a part of your trading arsenal. I don’t think its wise to restrict ourselves, who knows in the future when High Frequency Trading takes place, right??? Just my 2 pips.

I only know I know nothing

simplex

… with links back to its origin at SHF provided …

Allright: I’ve had the idea to post a link back to the origin. So here you go:

http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=105044#p105044

@muuh: maybe you could edit your first post of this thread and provide this link also? :good:

Saver0

I believe he is by far the only one I knew which explain clearly what is a Trend which I can’t really find in FF

This indicator that I made can show clearly what the long term, mid term and short term trends are if you set the settings up correctly :-)
                                    http://penguintraders.com/forums/topic/currency-strengthpowervalue-indicator/
                                    If anybody needs an explanation, please let me know there.

I took a look at HGI a while ago and I personally didn’t like it so much. Just didn’t fit my style/personality.

If you really want me to delete this thread. I can (just send me a private message with your request). Since you are the thread starter, its your right to do so :-)

I also don’t see a problem with us discussing it over here. There are some users call this their new home and I for one don’t have the time to go through all the forums that are there. And I want to see what the group of people who are here, who I know are very talented and have great personalities, honestly think about this and what they learn from it. Just don’t attach the indicator here and always try to link to the topics there if you want to highlight something. I know for sure that this will only increase traffic to stevehopewood’s great site and increase his ranking :-)

Focus, Patience, Determination & Order in chaos

simplex

Some more info on HGI: Steve has developed an EA to automate HGI.

See: http://www.stevehopwoodforex.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=105063#p105063

And what I particularly love are Steve’s very special error messages. Like a taste?

//Mindless dimwit check
                                         if (! indiExists( HGI_Name ))
                                         {
                                            Alert(” Read the fucking user guide properly this time, you demented lazy and stupid dimwit.”);
                                            Alert(“The required indicator ” + HGI_Name + ” does not exist on your platform. I am removing myself from your chart.”);
                                            ExpertRemove();
                                            return(0);
                                         }

:muhaha: :love-it:   :lol:

Saver0

Has there been any reports of successful trade explorers or what not with this indicator? I’m just a bit busy with a few things to go through the entire thread :-(

FXEZ
                                        Participant

Agree, there is nothing wrong with discussing ideas that didn’t originate on this forum, on this forum, but credit where credit is due.

Has there been any reports of successful trade explorers or what not with this indicator? I’m just a bit busy with a few things to go through the entire thread :-(

I haven’t used it but am looking to investigate it. From what limited reading I’ve done so far, you can’t backtest it, so results are based on limited forward testing and word of mouth results. So far results sound really good from the recent posts. Only the .ex4 is available on the indicator, but an open code EA is under development (Holy Graily Bob) by Steve Hopwood and possibly some others. Apparently if you want to recreate the indicator and are determined to go through hundreds of pages, and have the skills to do it, it can be recreated because the rule set was (apparently) fully disclosed in pages of discussion in past incarnations of the indicator. That said, I also don’t have time to read hundreds of pages, and I don’t know the particulars of how this works, nor have I installed it (yet) but hope to soon take a test drive.

Basically there are 2 main threads: HGI which talks about the logic of the underlying indicators and system, and Holy Graily Bob which is EA development and discussion. A third thread may be of interest which is HGI for beginners which is probably where you should start if you don’t know what any of this means.

gg53
                                          Participant

I believe he is by far the only one I knew which explain clearly what is a Trend which I can’t really find in FF

This indicator that I made can show clearly what the long term, mid term and short term trends are if you set the settings up correctly :-) http://penguintraders.com/forums/topic/currency-strengthpowervalue-indicator/ If anybody needs an explanation, please let me know there. I took a look at HGI a while ago and I personally didn’t like it so much. Just didn’t fit my style/personality.

If you really want me to delete this thread. I can (just send me a private message with your request). Since you are the thread starter, its your right to do so :-) I also don’t see a problem with us discussing it over here. There are some users call this their new home and I for one don’t have the time to go through all the forums that are there. And I want to see what the group of people who are here, who I know are very talented and have great personalities, honestly think about this and what they learn from it. Just don’t attach the indicator here and always try to link to the topics there if you want to highlight something. I know for sure that this will only increase traffic to stevehopewood’s great site and increase his ranking :-)

A link-back and not sharing here original code from SteveHopwood is a good and acceptable idea.

References to original code should be in a form of links to origin.

G.

Jhlewis10
                                            Participant

Testing the EA, for the best settings and trying to read all the threads.  473 pips  yesterday.

Jhlewis10
                                              Participant

Two days 936 pips, but 327 of them are were still open and market close.

simplex

Nice! Did you run it OOTB?

Saver0

Very nice! Please keep updating us :-)

Jhlewis10
                                                    Participant

OOTB 4h TF.

Just came back from dinner and had 600 pips floating in the two hours of market open.  Closed all open and pending trades with a script because we know a retrace will come at some point.  1214 pips in 3 days.  So I am not running fully automatic on this demo, I will open and close it where I see fit.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 33 total)
                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                    Scroll to Top